Monday, August 3, 2009

(4) A Rush of Oxygen to the Soul...

2 months later...

I was so nervous! I was also excited because Haya's mom and mine had finally agreed to let us go to a mixed "gathering" at our girlfriend's house. Yes! I get to meet new people and stay out later than usual! Plus, I'm in the mood to get all dolled up. Butterflies! The only reason they agreed to this was because our girlfriend's mother was going to be there to "supervise." Supposedly. That's the plan! I feel horrible being sneaky like this, but I need a break once in a while. What to do?
"Where the hell is my tight black skirt?! Haya, please check in that pile on that white chair. I'm not going if I don't find it," I said panicking. Huge issue. If I don't execute the image I have created in my head of myself the night before for the event, I would rather stay home. Trust me, I have done it before. I was standing in the middle of my room half-dressed and freaking out. I was trying to make up an emergency plan B in case I couldn't find my skirt.
You can tell I really want to go to this event.
"It's not here! OK, listen to me seriously. We don't get a chance like this too often in case you haven't noticed. I want to get there in half an hour maximum because I would like to have enough time to enjoy myself without Raju ringing the bell in the middle of the fun. So please, move it!" Haya said. OK, fine. I know she has a point, and I also feel bad for making her wait when she's all ready.
"You know what? You're right. I'm going to put on my other black skirt. The one with the small slit on the side," I finally gave in. I opened my closet, grabbed the skirt, and slipped it on. "Just let me put my stuff in my purse and I'll be good to go."
As we walked out of my room and into the living room, I found my mother sitting on the couch watching TV. "Yumma! i7na ray7een. Tabeen shay?" I asked as I kissed her forehead.
"La yumma bas please deeraw balkum oo diggaw 3lay min her house lamman tou9loon," she said.
"Inshallah. Yumma, mou a7san ityeebeeli mobile oo itfukeen 3mrich? Mou arya7?" I said as I gave her a joking look and continued to walk to the stairs with Haya. I knew what her response was going to be. Taw il nas. Blah, blah, blah!
"Taw il nas 3al mobile. 7ag shino a9lan?" She said.
By that time I was halfway down the stairs, so I didn't reply. I just couldn't wait to get there. I was in party mode! Small and special outings make me happy.
"OK Haya stick by me when we get there. I don't know anyone and I don't want to be alone at any time when I'm there, OK? It's going to feel weird because I don't know anyone. So promise me min il7een," I said on our way.
"Akeed I promise. Y3ni ana illy giltlich come. Ba5aleech ibroo7ich? I don't know how you think sometimes," Haya laughed.
"I was just making sure," I said laughing with her.
I feel sophisticated, powerful, and confident. Like I'm about to plunge into a warm, body-hugging pool of water. Like I'm out there to get the world with my mother's classic Fendi heals, tight black skirt, white tucked in qamees, studded baby blue clutch, perfectly applied black eyeliner and mascara, and finally, my healthy, naturally straight, light brown hair. Flawless in my eyes.
As Raju pulled up in front of the house, Haya and I observed the people and atmosphere through the tinted windows. I didn't catch a single familiar face at first. Or wait a minute, that's Hamad, the guy Haya introduced me to a couple of months ago. What is he wearing? And why on earth does he have a "Ja Rule style" looking bandanna tied around his head?
"Some very interesting ashkal in your school Haya," I teased.
"3adal yal stuck-up American school girl," she said laughing. "But I have to admit you're right. We do have some pretty funny-looking people."
I laughed. "Yalla, let's go!"
"Yalla, I see my shilla. I'll introduce you to them first and we'll go from there. You're going to love them," she said enthusiastically.
"OK," I replied. Wow, I feel like such an outsider; I feel like I have so much to learn about this school's culture and people. Ugh, English schools!
After Haya introduced me to all her friends, her "shilla" according to her, I felt a little more comfortable. They were actually really nice people; they didn't really differ from my friends a whole lot. Besides, there was a hottie, or two! Middle school crushes. I remember. The age of utter innocence and pure, good intentions.
As I got acquainted with random people I slowly began to get loose. I socialized more than I ever had in the past. Mind you, I am a very social person to begin with. That night, Haya and I danced and danced until...
"Hey, do you want to dance with me?" I heard a voice in my ear and quickly turned around. Oh my God, what a cutie! OK, think. This is so not me. I'm not going to dance with him. I don't even know him. What is it with boys in this school? They sure have guts!
"Ummmm, no thanks, I was just about to...."
"Halla Bu 3mra!" I saw Hamad grabbing the guy's attention and then whispering something in his ear. Oh God, not again.
"Come on, it's time to go home babe!" Haya screamed over the music. She then took my hand and began pushing through the crowd.
"Thank God, I was beginning to feel weird!" I screamed back. "Oh my God, this is so fun, I wish we could stay!"
"Me too! But we better get going before our mothers throw a fit," Haya walked faster.
As we were walking to the car, Haya and I said our "bye's" and I said my "nice to meet you's" to people. It's so damn loud. And finally, we got into the car and closed the door. Quietness. My ears are buzzing.
The ride home was filled with excitement, gossip, and high fives. Haya and I would not shut up! When Raju pulled up in front of my house, I didn't want to stop talking, so I told Haya to call me as soon as she got home.
As I unlocked the kitchen door and walked in, I heard the TV and my parents' voices from the second floor. I could smell my dad's cigarettes. Home sweet home. I can't wait to continue my conversation with Haya! I ran up the stairs to where my parents were situated. I gave each one a kiss on the forehead and remained standing from the excitement.
"Thanks mom, I love you for letting me go! 9ij istanasna. I met so many new people!" I said.
"Wayid zain mama, that's nice," She said.
"Look at you! All dressed up and looking older. Ish hal zain killa?" My father sweet talked me.
"7ilou? Il heals malout mama," I said shyly as I slowly crept into my room.
"Wayid 7ilou 7abibti," He smiled.
As I changed into my pajamas, my eye caught something flashing in the toolbar on my desktop. I walked over and clicked on it.
"Hamad would like to add you as a friend on MSN," the notification read. Ummm...how did he get my email?
I minimized it, but something was still flashing, so I clicked again.
"Bu 3mra would like to add you as a friend on MSN," the notification read. What the...
"Ring, Ring," my house phone went off. I rushed over and answered it. I hope it's Haya. I'm going to kill her if she's the one that gave my email out!
"Alo?" I said anxiously through the phone.
"Helloooo," Haya replied.

4 comments:

  1. hahahaha i remember the days when we used to go to patries oo the guys who see you there add you ! anywayy i wana knoww who gave them the emails! post soon :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah right?! don't worry, ur gonna know everything, it's on the way ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahahahaha omgg! LOL. Bu 3mra.. i'm cracking up.. it's too funny.. miss american school girl! shfeeehom el british schools ya3ni yeah?!?! lol. loved this post, very descriptvie.. again, you drew the perfect image.. i know what night u'r talking about and i can picture it perfectly :)
    love u gorgeous.
    -Haya ;*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hayo0on:

    LOOL i just found it suitable for some reason!
    English schoolsss...hmmmmm...HAHAH...u and our girls r exceptions! Ur like American school girlsss! LOOL no no i'm just jk!
    me love uuuuuuu (a) hehehe..

    ReplyDelete